The time to weatherize your home is now!
Weatherizing your home involves finding areas where the air leaks and sealing them to keep your house warm and energy efficient during the upcoming stormy winter months.
Insulation is the key to keep heat from escaping. The following are some tips to help get your home ready.
1. Inspect and seal attic.
2. Secure the basement. Seal places where the air might get out, such as; the heating ducts and basement windows.
3. Place insulation around plumbing to prevent frozen pipes.
4. Fill any holes in the foundation wall.
5. Check all windows and doors for air leakage. Make sure your weather stripping is in good shape.
6. Seal the fireplace. If you don't plan on using your fireplace during the winter months, get a commercial fireplace plug to stop the flue.
7. Prepare the exterior of your home. Make sure your dryer vent is properly covered and check windows and see if they need to be caulked.
8. Contact a professional to investigate possible energy loss problems.
SERVPRO OF EUREKA would be happy to inspect your duct work and insulation. If you need any help weatherizing your home, give us a call! 707-445-0900